All of the interesting technological, artistic or just plain fun subjects I'd investigate if I had an infinite number of lifetimes. In other words, a dumping ground...

Thursday 23 July 2009

Why Software Sucks

We work at the sausage factory, so we know how this stuff is made. And it is not pretty. Most software is created by bad programmers like us (or worse!), which means that by definition, most software sucks. Let's refer to Scott Berkun's Why Software Sucks to nail down the definition:

When people say "this sucks" they mean one or more of the following:

  • This doesn't do what I need
  • I can't figure out how to do what I need
  • This is unnecessarily frustrating and complex
  • This breaks all the time
  • It's so ugly I want to vomit just so I have something prettier to look at
  • It doesn't map to my understanding of the universe
  • I'm thinking about the tool, instead of my work
From http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/001289.html

No comments:

tim's shared items

Add to Google Reader or Homepage